Bending Suggestions

Pozboy123

Chat Moderator

At the moment pvp is extremely unfair for airbenders and they can barely beat anyone when other elements can kill them in two or one shots. I personally think that the strength of the airbenders is fair but they need a better way of dodging these strong attacks. Also, I agree with SxyToad’s idea of only giving airbenders gliders but, that makes trasportation almost impossible for other benders. So maybe elytras could be disabled for non airbenders during combat? That would make fighting more interesting and realistic. Considering how only airbenders ever used gliders during combat in the cartoon. Also, fire bomb should not 1 shot kill even during high noon especially when fire bomb isn’t even the strongest fire move in the avatar world. So, when better moves come out those will 1 shot as well giving us like three 1 shots which is just nonrealistic. What do you guys think?

Details

Created At:
7 years ago
Updated At:
7 years ago

By CafeMan At 7 years ago Report Reply 0

At the moment pvp is extremely unfair for airbenders and they can barely beat anyone when other elements can kill them in two or one shots.

The thing is…thats not unfair. That’s actually exactly how it should be! As airbenders we aren’t meant to be fighters because airbending isn’t an element that’s meant to be used offensively. Of course, thats not to say it CAN’T be. It can, and very effectively so, but not in a powerhouse up-close-and-personal in-you-face kind of way.

That’s the problem with people who want to use airbending offensively on the server–they try to powerhouse through everything like mindless morons, but you can’t do that as an airbender because our moves don’t do a lot of damage and we have next to nothing when it comes to defense, which is why they all get demolished and killed in two hits when they go up against other benders.

Our strength lies in our evasiveness and ability to use air to put distance between ourselves and our opponent so that we can attack safely from a distance. Yes it’s a little difficult to do that now being that we only have two long distance moves, but as time progresses and we get new moves hopefully that should change.

However, our other advantage is that we can use our bending to cause fall damage. Air Geyser and Air Twister are PERFECT for that. In time, I hope we get Air Tornado as a master move to really help with that. Of course alot of people have gliders so that advantage is taken away from us but I’ll talk about that later.

I personally think that the strength of the airbenders is fair but they need a better way of dodging these strong attacks.

We already have MULTIPLE ways of dodging moves and they’re all pretty effective. Helps to balance out the fact that we’re piss poor offensively. We can dodge by moving faster with Featherweight, go slightly faster by combining that with AirShield (which is my opinion should be renamed AirCloak as it looks nothing like a shield), and go even faster than that with AirScooter. Yes I know it’s been been unusable for the time being but it’s still there.

We can also avoid attacks by jumping. Featherweight for a small jump, Shift-clicking airjump gets a medium jump, and normal airjump is a high jump.

But if all else fails we can use our greatest dodging technique…USING GLIDERS TO FLY. Of course, others can fly too, but they all have to come down sometime. We dont. We can stay up, eat, heal, and come back down. Thats what makes US deadly. This is what balance us out.

Also, I agree with SxyToad’s idea of only giving airbenders gliders but, that makes trasportation almost impossible for other benders. So maybe elytras could be disabled for non airbenders during combat?

I actually disagree because if they didn’t have gliders they’d have no way to counter the fact that we airbenders can use ours to fly. As I said our greastest strength is that we can fly, eat, heal, and come back for more, but if we can fly and they can’t period during a fight we can use that to ensure that they don’t land a single hit. Yes, we still can make that happen in some circumstances, but even for benders who can’t use their bending in the sky, gliders serve as a means to be a little evasive so they aren’t constantly being dive bombed.

I personally think it should just be harder for non airbenders to get a glider. Perhaps it can just cost more for them or something.

That would make fighting more interesting and realistic. Considering how only airbenders ever used gliders during combat in the cartoon

Buzzer

Teo (the Mechanist’s disabled son) and the other residents of the Northern Air Temple used their gliders to help fight off the Fire Nation army after the Mechanist refused to continue making weapons for the Fire Nation in episode 17, «The Northern Air Temple» in Book 1 of Avatar: The Last Airbender, therefore that argument is invalid.

Also, fire bomb should not 1 shot kill even during high noon especially when fire bomb isn’t even the strongest fire move in the avatar world.

I agree that it shouldn’t one shot in normal circumstances, but during high noon when a firebender’s bending is at its strongest is when it makes the most sense for it to have that ability. Yes, it’s very, VERY annoying in a PVP situation, especially for an airbender who makes the stupid decision to try and out powerhouse a FIREBENDER DURING MIDDAY WHEN HE/SHE IS THE MOST POWERFUL.

If you use your bending to keep your self at a far enough distance they’ll never be able to hit you with it.

So, when better moves come out those will 1 shot as well giving us like three 1 shots which is just nonrealistic

Again, *as airbenders we’re not powerhouses**. We dont NEED a one hit KO move. Mainly because we kind of already have one. If you use a maxed out airburst against someone who’s above you, they’ll launch super high up which can cause instant death via fall damage if they dont do something to cushion the blow.

By EmeraldRange At 7 years ago Report Reply 0

Replying to the glider part

Right now, as you mentioned, gliders are the only reason airbenders could be considered balanced. We can stay up for indefinite amounts of time. If other benders can use elytra during combat, this advantage is severely nerfed: bringing us to airbenders been underpowered.

By CafeMan At 7 years ago Report Reply 0

We can stay up for indefinite amounts of time. If other benders can use elytra during combat, this advantage is severely nerfed

Very true, however thankfully thats not the case because only one other kind of bender can actually fight while using an Elytra. Remember, Earthbenders and Waterbenders need to be near their respective element in order to bend it, so heading up into the air to meet us in combat puts them at a severe disadvantage. Firebenders however can bend while using an Elytra during combat. But even then thats not really an issue as we can out fly them easily. The sky is our domain and while in it we have no limits, but everyone else does.

Which is a problem because that actually makes us overpowered. We may be weak offensively but we can use the skies to chip them down rendering them unable to touch us. Firebenders can almost do the same to earth and water as well. So perhaps to balance that out offensive moves should be disabled on Elytra’s for everybody.

But that of course, in your words,

bringing us to airbenders been underpowered.

brings us back to airbenders being underpowered (FTFY)

Thankfully new moves come out monthly…ish, so hopefully we’ll see a few new offensive airbending moves. Personally I’d love to see AirPull, AirPunch (as a higher form of air bolt), AirBlast (as an even higher form of airbolt), AirBlade (as a higher level ever so slightly more spammable AirKick) AirBomb (To give us back what AirShock used to be), and AirTornado (Master level move that can serve as a higher level airburst that tears up the ground a little)

By PaintedDragoness At 7 years ago Report Reply 0

Not really one to complain since I don’t PvP much, but dungeons are really tough for waterbenders when water sources are limited. For myself personally it seemed like water moves are still a bit bugged and have short range. But maybe it’s just me.

By SkeletonXF238 [Team Member] At 7 years ago Report Reply 0

I think airbending fits in with a feel of lots of low damage high frequency attacks to chip down at the opponent, where as (possibly overtuned currently but nonetheless) I think many fighting styles of the other 3 elements fall better in line with having some low frequency high damage ‘nukes’

That said having cooldowns on air abilities that deal only half a heart makes it kinda hard to chip someone down with the same sort of dps, and personally I’ve found that I can dodge at least Hama’s water attacks reliably but only if I’m out of range to use AirBolt.

I think the problems are twofold, there needs to be some passive dodging abilities so dodging moves don’t cost you potential attack move cast time and attacking needs to be more fluid and higher frequency.

I wonder if having a move (LightFoot or something? Naming things is hard) that acts as a long lasting toggle that when activated (and stays active even with it no longer selected) means any other move cast gives you a 1 second speed boost would help with giving airbenders more fluidity in their fights.

You could then use your attack moves for brief speed bursts to try to dodge other attacks and toggle it off if your energy dropped too much or you were out of combat.

By FireLordZuko [Administrator] At 7 years ago Report Reply 0

I understand there are some conflicting wishes and demands that people have from the different elements. But one thing for sure: I want to hint on some new plugin we are going to release in several weeks that may make your lives easier. :)