Update to a Future Version?

IronTem

Chat Moderator

I was just wondering when we will update to like 1.12 or something, I don’t get why we can’t just do it instantly considering how 1.12 clients can connect (unless that works for some other reason that I don’t understand).

I watch a lot of YouTube videos, and seeing people do things with updates makes me really sad honestly. I am watching a cool video and the guy is like and then you used glazed terracotta here and I just have to think oh, right, I can’t do this can I.

It is also really bad as an avid redstoner, because to use other people’s designs I have to look at year old ideas to make sure it doesn’t include an observer

Also shulker boxes are cool.

So basically, can I/the server get either:

1. An update
  2. A date
  3. A reason why you haven’t yet ( this would be nice anyway).

Details

Created At:
6 years ago

By GuoKao [Administrator] At 6 years ago Report Reply 0

TL;DR I essentially just need a bit of time to prepare and execute an update. With the summer coming up it should be doable.

I don’t get why we can’t just do it instantly considering how 1.12 clients can connect

We use a tool called ViaVersion, which translates the packets sent over the network between Minecraft versions. This makes it fairly painless to allow newer clients to connect, as no actual server code needs to be updated.

A ‘real’ update is a lot more work however. This requires changing a significant part of our code base, which will likely lead to bugs. This is why I don’t want to simply «go for it» when I have updated the code. I need to be available for a few days after the fact to just do bug fixes and the likes.

With the vacation period arriving soon, I should have the time to actually do this properly soon though. I can’t make any promises regarding when exactly this update will land, as I also have a few other projects going on. «But it should not take too long» (we’ve heard that one before sigh).

Edit:

Taking a closer look, some projects that we depend on, namely MCP and https://github.com/Techcable/MinecraftMappings do not have a stable 1.12 version yet. An update is still possible, but this requires me to replace those projects for it to work.

By IronTem [Chat Moderator] At 6 years ago Report Reply 0

Alright. Thanks for explaining why instead of just saying «SoonTM» like every other staff member I asked.

By FireLordZuko [Administrator] At 6 years ago Report Reply 0

It’s because he knows exactly what needs to be done and the rest doesn’t, so they can’t really explain it to you.

I don’t mean to be rude, I don’t even know what all needs to be done currently to update to a newer version, so I would’ve said SoonTM as well :/